Sunday, July 30, 2006

regarding the sole search


happy feet
Originally uploaded by Zuzu*Petals.
I read somewhere a long time ago that Georgia O’Keeffe liked to walk the earth without shoes because it was like the land was speaking to her, up through the soles of her feet. With my thoughts as outwardly directed toward the universe as they have been lately, I thought maybe I should shut up and listen for a while. Now, everyone taps into their spiritual level differently (even you, my atheists), and what I’ve found works best for me is to plug into nature and its elements as best I can.

As I was feeling kinda blue, I knew it would require drastic measures – I needed to commune, Georgia-style. Rather than take my life into my own hands by walking barefoot in a NYC public park, I prefer to head to Wave Hill, which I basically think of as my backyard…just 15 minutes away. So I hopped off the Bx7 bus, walked through the gate, and listened:

They have an aural installation of human birdcalls emanating from speakers on certain trees right now, which is very fun. I felt that soft green grass between my toes and my feet took it all in. I had chilled tomato basil soup and ate tiny chocolate drizzled macaroons in the cafe; I sat in the shade and walked under crazy blue skies overlooking the Hudson and the Palisades and beheld colors and textures and scents. I took in the art show currently exhibiting and enjoyed other people's creativity. I thought about things that were troubling me, people I care about, things I am grateful for. For a while I think maybe that I didn’t think at all, and my walking meditation was not at all unlike prayer.
Nobody sees a flower really; it is so small. We haven't time, and to see takes time - like to have a friend takes time. – Georgia O’Keeffe

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave it at the beep.