I’ve found myself struggling in recent weeks to define my audience, and any good writer will tell you that defining your audience is pivotal. I log in and try to write something – anything – wondering what exactly it is people want to read, what they’re showing up for. I’m interested in so many things, you see. I do not define myself as just an actor, or just a writer, or just a photographer. I love to travel, but it doesn’t happen often enough to have a blog specific to that. There are people these days that will tell you that without focusing on one point, you’ll never get anywhere, and even I will concede there’s a certain amount of truth in that. If one hopes to accomplish anything, it helps to have an end or a destination in mind - I just happen to have a lot of destinations in mind and even more maps in my glove compartment; so sue me.
After several days of staring into the digital abyss known as Document1 in Microsoft Word, it’s finally occurred to me that anybody who actually bothers to read this thing just climbs in shotgun and doesn’t mind the journey. Sometimes I go down scenic paths; sometimes I take the highway; sometimes I take a detour through an ugly and sketchy part of town, but there's always a reason. If you’re here, you want to be along for the ride, and it doesn’t matter if I’m running out for figurative carpet samples or ice cream. Well, thank you for that. I applaud your sense of adventure. I also thank you for not smoking. I’ll try to be more diligent about my tags in the event you only want to read about one particular subject, but otherwise, fasten your seatbelts:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.Ladies and gentlemen, I am not a cockroach. This is a supremely good thing, because cockroaches are icky and also they cannot drive. I’ll see you on the road.
- Robert A. Heinlein
You should see my fabulous new line of corduroy evening wear and the shoelace re-tipping machine I just patented. Being single-visioned is for the Jacks of Spades and Hearts and Cyclopses (SP? No clue how to pluralize those fuckers), none of which exist in reality, and they certainly aren't on blogger[dot]com. I can't wait to read your next entry, AL. Knock the fuckin' back out of it.
ReplyDelete=AA=
We are of a mind, lady. I've been trying to find "my voice" for some time. What do I want to write about? How do I want to write it? Who do I want to write for? It finally occurred to me that you had given me the right advice all along: Just write.
ReplyDeleteBelieve me, any destination you have in mind is going to be worth the ride. In fact, the ride will probably be the best part.
Yeah, certainly, Gregor Samsa did not enjoy his life as such.
ReplyDeleteI agree. I'm pretty certain his sales went down, anyway.
ReplyDeleteIn line with all comments - I like ramblings, and I like getting a sense of people/bloggers through a variety of topics.
ReplyDeleteMaybe "people without specific requests" is the definition for your audience!
I LOVE that quote. I steal it now.
ReplyDeleteAnd we love you. We aren;t going anywhere!
Oh and Harris- KNOCK THE BACK OUT OF IT? I steal that one, too. Thanks! Ha ha ha
ReplyDeleteFor the record cockroaches are also icky because they are the second most common allergen to humans and every inch of them from antennae tip to legs are covered in pathogen. Not to mention they can live a week without a head. Yuck. You are not an insect my dear. Unless you be a very large and glorious one.
ReplyDelete