Sunday, September 30, 2012

the wishing tree

my favorite tree

I call it the Wishing Tree. If the tree has a proper name, I don't know what it is. I just know what I call it. It lies on the southern edge of Wave Hill, a beautiful public garden in the Riverdale section of the Bronx. You can find it at the bottom of the slope of lawn leading down from Glyndor house. I have no idea how old it is, if she's native to the landscape or if someone planted her. I can only tell you it takes two people, one on either side, in order to give it a proper hug. 

Should you ever need to talk without interruption or fear of judgment, I am happy to report this tree is a fine listener and will keep any secret you tell, so long as you do not write it in her bark for all the world to see. Also, she is nice to look at, offers generous shade and, in the event you are not in the mood to sit on the neighboring bench, her roots make for a fine seat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave it at the beep.