Wednesday, March 8, 2006
Dia Internacional De La Mujer
I'm going to get a little down-home on you here for a minute.
Some of you know that I grew up in El Paso. El Paso and Juarez are essentially one big city separated by border control. You see interesting things growing up in a border town, and you become very aware of things that people turn the other way from, like members of just about any varsity high school football team in town running drugs and guns on the weekends (football is a religion in West Texas, after all).
Today is Dia Internacional De La Mujer. I suspect many of you are not familiar with the murders of over 400 women in Juarez during the last 12 years. If you're interested in educating yourself on a human rights atrocity in what is essentially the USA's backyard, I encourage you to visit the link above. It is possible - I daresay likely - that justice may never be found for these women and the cycle of violence continues today. There have been 18 arrests and no convictions. Some people might say, well this is a problem for Mexico - but I assure you, having grown up there, that this is not a problem for one particular country as much as it is for an international community.
I don't like to get political on here, but violence against anyone kind of pisses me off. There is a petition on the site if you are interested.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Leave it at the beep.